How to claim your Recovery Rebate Credit

You must file your 2020 tax return form 1040 or form 1040SR for you to claim the EIP1 and EIP2 as there is no more non filer tool available at the IRS website.

Your recovery rebate credit amount will depend on your filing status and adjusted gross income.

The amount will phase out if your adjusted gross income is:

Married filing jointly or qualifying widow or widower $150,000 or more

Head of household $112.500 or more

Single of married filing separate $75,000 or more




Scenario Solution
1. You filed 2018 and 2019 tax returns but never recived EIP1 and/or EIP2 1. Check the GetMyPayment page to verify if the payments were issued.

2. If the check was not issued, you were not eligible, file your 2020 tax return and claim the credit

2. Received the payments, but you don’t remember the amounts. check your bank account in April 2020 for the first EIP and in February 2021 for the second EIP
3. You did not file 2019, 2018 and you did not use the Non-filer tool at the IRS website. File 2020 tax return to claim the credit even if you would not have to file.


4. You were previously a dependent on your parents’ tax return, and your parents received EIP payments for you as a dependent. Even if you were claimed as a dependent on the prior year parents’ return, file your 2020 tax return to claim the credit for EIP1 and EIP2
5. You got married in 2020 If you were married in 2020, file 2020 as married filing jointly or separate and claim the EIP amounts you recived if any to reconcile and receive the remaining if any


6. You plan to file as Single, head of household, married filing separately, or as a Qualifying Widow in 2020 Report the amount received only for yourself (do not include amounts for your spouse’s EIP payment)

If you also received EIP payments for dependents:
• If the same dependents are included on your 2020 return include the EIP amount received for the dependents.

• If the other spouse will claim the dependents, then report only the filer own share of the EIP1 and EIP2.

7. You file jointly with a nonresident alien spouse The IRS has lifted prior restrictions on recovery credits for mixed-status families for filing jointly.

The couple filing jointly is eligible for EIP2 of $600 for the US spouse and $600 for each dependent. No need to file separately. EIP1 of $1,200 can be claimed now for your NRA spouse.

Get in touch! For a free confidential initial consultation

Your Files has been Uploaded Successfully

Lets Talk!